/ Aug 18, 2026
Trending
The Ceuta Crisis deepened on Sunday after the death toll from the mass migration emergency in Spain’s North African enclave rose to 72, while authorities continued returning tens of thousands of migrants to neighbouring Morocco.
According to Spanish public broadcaster RTVE, rescue teams recovered the bodies of 72 people who drowned while attempting to swim from Morocco to Ceuta. Spanish officials estimate that more than 50,000 migrants entered the enclave irregularly on Thursday, making it one of the largest migration surges in recent years.
More than 100 words into the emergency response, the Ceuta Crisis prompted Spanish authorities to install a 500-metre sea barrier at the Tarajal border area to prevent further irregular crossings. Security forces also continued patrols across neighbourhoods to locate migrants who remained inside the enclave.
Many migrants have voluntarily returned to Morocco, while authorities escorted others to the Tarajal border crossing for repatriation. Spanish officials reported that more than 48,300 migrants had already crossed back into Morocco as efforts continued to restore order.
Trump and Saudi Crown Prince Push Iran Diplomacy as Gulf Tensions Deepen
Spain’s National Institute of Health Management said medical teams have treated 1,149 migrants since the crisis began. One critically injured person remains in hospital and is awaiting transfer to mainland Spain for specialised treatment.
Officials said the autonomous city has gradually started returning to normal, although emergency services and security personnel remain on high alert.
Authorities also increased security in Melilla, Spain’s second North African enclave. Officials temporarily slowed traffic at the Beni-Enzar border crossing after detecting an attempted irregular crossing at the border fence.
Normal vehicle and pedestrian movement resumed once security forces brought the situation under control.
The migration emergency has renewed pressure on Spain’s border management policies as authorities continue rescue operations, strengthen security measures and coordinate the large-scale return of migrants to Morocco.
Copyright © 2026 99News. All Rights Reserved.
[…] Ceuta Migration Crisis Death Toll Climbs to 72 as Spain Tightens Border Controls […]