/ Aug 18, 2026
Trending
US President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to substantially reduce South Korea drills, citing their cost and Seoul’s refusal to participate in US actions against Iran.
Trump made the remarks on Sunday through his Truth Social account, shortly before the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises were scheduled to begin. He said he was unhappy that Washington had agreed to participate in the drills.
Trump also pointed to his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. He argued that the exercises send an inappropriate and hostile signal to North Korea.
The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises are scheduled to continue until August 27. Around 18,000 South Korean military personnel are expected to participate.
South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said the exercises began on Monday as planned. Officials declined to comment on Trump’s remarks.
The White House and Pentagon did not immediately provide further details about how the US could reduce its participation.
Trump has previously sought to scale back military exercises with South Korea. He has also repeatedly criticised Seoul over the cost of hosting about 28,500 US troops.
Trump also linked his latest comments to South Korea’s position on the conflict involving the US, Israel and Iran.
He said he had recently asked South Korean President Lee Jae Myung whether Seoul wanted to join US efforts concerning the denuclearisation of Iran. According to Trump, South Korea declined.
The comments add another point of tension between Washington and Seoul as the two allies manage security, defence spending and economic disputes.
North Korea has long condemned US-South Korean military exercises. Pyongyang routinely describes the drills as preparations for an invasion.
The latest US decision could also be connected to Trump’s efforts to reopen dialogue with Kim Jong Un, analysts said.
Trump and Kim held three summits during Trump’s first presidency. However, those meetings did not result in an agreement to end North Korea’s nuclear weapons or ballistic missile programmes.
Jenny Town, head of the 38 North programme at the Stimson Center, said the move could be part of a broader effort to create a diplomatic opening with Pyongyang.
Pakistan Sets Sights on Higher Credit Ratings With Fiscal Reform Push
The military exercises have changed significantly in recent years. They have moved away from some live-fire activities and increasingly use computer simulations involving missile and cyberattack scenarios.
Victor Cha of the Center for Strategic and International Studies said Trump could also be seeking greater influence over North Korea.
He suggested that Washington may want to engage Pyongyang while attempting to limit its growing military cooperation with Russia.
US officials have warned that North Korean forces involved in Russia’s war against Ukraine are gaining battlefield experience.
Trump has repeatedly demanded that South Korea take on a larger share of defence costs.
The two countries are also dealing with broader economic disagreements. A former US official said Trump’s administration was frustrated with Seoul’s approach to several economic issues.
Washington and Seoul agreed last year on an investment arrangement involving $350 billion in South Korean commitments in the United States. However, Seoul has not yet announced detailed plans for the investment.
The allies are also dealing with tensions surrounding US-listed e-commerce company Coupang, which South Korean authorities are investigating over a major data breach.
For now, South Korea has proceeded with the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises despite Trump’s call to reduce US participation, leaving uncertainty over how the alliance’s future military cooperation will evolve.
Copyright © 2026 99News. All Rights Reserved.
[…] Trump Orders US to Cut South Korea Military Drills Over Iran Dispute […]