/ Aug 18, 2026
Trending
Kyiv, August 12, 2026: Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Kyiv has submitted proposals to the United States aimed at ending the Russia-Ukraine war, as US-mediated peace efforts remain stalled.
“We passed our proposals to the American side,” Zelenskyy said in an address on Tuesday evening.
The Ukrainian president called on Washington to strengthen Ukraine’s defence, particularly its air defence capabilities. He also urged the United States to increase pressure on Russia to encourage Moscow to move towards ending the conflict.
Zelenskyy’s comments come as diplomatic efforts between Russia and Ukraine remain on hold. The two sides held three rounds of US-mediated peace talks in January and February as Washington sought to push the countries towards a settlement.
The negotiations later stalled as the United States shifted attention towards the conflict involving Iran and the wider Middle East.
Zelenskyy also raised concerns over Russia’s future military plans. He said Ukrainian intelligence had reported that Moscow could launch a major troop mobilisation after Russia’s September elections.
According to Zelenskyy, Russian President Vladimir Putin could seek to create the impression that the Russian public continues to support the war.
The Ukrainian leader claimed Russia could mobilise several hundred thousand additional troops by the end of this year and recruit a similar number next year.
He said any new mobilisation would come alongside Russia’s existing efforts to recruit soldiers through military contracts.
Russia has previously carried out a major mobilisation during the war. In 2022, Putin approved a partial mobilisation that brought around 300,000 additional personnel into the Russian military.
Ukraine has repeatedly warned that Russia could launch another mobilisation campaign. Russian officials have rejected those claims.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said in March that mobilisation was not on the government’s agenda.
Pakistan’s Federal Debt Climbs to Rs83.6 Trillion Despite Revenue Surge
Dmitry Medvedev, deputy chairman of Russia’s Security Council, also rejected reports of an imminent mobilisation last month. He described such claims as false provocation and propaganda.
The latest statements come as fighting continues despite months of diplomatic efforts. Both Russia and Ukraine have continued military operations while their negotiating positions remain far apart.
Zelenskyy’s latest appeal places renewed emphasis on US involvement, particularly in strengthening Ukraine’s air defence and increasing diplomatic pressure on Moscow.
The Ukrainian president has also sought to keep international attention focused on the war as the United States deals with a separate and escalating crisis in the Middle East.
For now, no date has been announced for the resumption of the suspended Russia-Ukraine peace talks.
Copyright © 2026 99News. All Rights Reserved.
[…] Zelenskyy Says Ukraine Sends US Proposals to End Russia-Ukraine War […]