/ Aug 18, 2026
Trending
Middle East tensions intensified on Saturday as Iran, Kuwait, the United States and regional allies exchanged fresh warnings amid escalating military and diplomatic confrontations. Iranian military officials accused Washington of expanding the regional conflict, Kuwait reported intercepting hostile drones, while reports suggested the US and Israel were considering new strikes on Iranian infrastructure.
Iranian Major General Abdollahi, commander of the Khatam al-Anbiya Central Headquarters, accused the United States of pursuing a strategy to widen the conflict across the region. In remarks carried by Iranian state media, he claimed Washington was using the resources and infrastructure of regional countries to strengthen Israel’s security and urged Muslim nations to reconsider military cooperation with the US.
More than 100 words into the rapidly evolving Middle East crisis, Kuwait said its armed forces detected and destroyed hostile drones after attacks targeted a government facility in northern Kuwait and civilian vehicles on Bubiyan Island. Defence Ministry spokesman Saud Al-Atwan said falling debris caused material damage but no casualties. Kuwait’s Foreign Ministry condemned what it described as Iranian aggression, calling it a violation of the country’s sovereignty and warning that Kuwait reserved the right to take all necessary measures to protect its security and national interests.
Iranian lawmaker Ebrahim Rezaei also issued a sharp warning, saying any attack on Iran would have devastating consequences for the region. Separately, Mohammad Bagher Zolghadr, Secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, warned that continued US maritime pressure could result in restrictions or even the closure of the Strait of Hormuz and other strategic waterways, raising concerns over global energy supplies.
Meanwhile, Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf declared that Iran had “won the war” but said the country must strengthen its long-term stability and expand its national capabilities to safeguard future security.
Pakistan Influencer Awards Debut With Data-Driven Platform to Redefine Creator Recognition
In Egypt, the Foreign Ministry said investigations are continuing into an attack involving two vessels at one of the country’s ports. Officials rejected what they described as inaccurate media reports and urged international news organisations to rely on official sources while the inquiry remains underway.
The European Union’s naval mission, ASPIDES, confirmed that the Italian frigate Bergamini safely escorted a merchant vessel through the Red Sea, underscoring continued international efforts to protect commercial shipping amid heightened regional security risks.
Yemen’s Houthi movement denied reports that it planned to charge commercial vessels for transiting the Bab el-Mandeb Strait. The group’s Humanitarian Operations Coordination Center said safe passage through the waterway remains free and urged shipping companies not to make payments to unauthorised individuals.
However, the Houthis claimed that eight Saudi oil tankers had diverted their routes around the Cape of Good Hope instead of using the Bab el-Mandeb Strait due to the group’s maritime blockade.
Separately, the UK Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) reported that an oil tanker operating near the coast of Oman was struck by an unidentified projectile, damaging its engine room and leaving the vessel unable to manoeuvre. Authorities said no casualties or environmental damage had been reported while investigations continue.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Tehran is working with Oman to establish operational mechanisms for managing navigation through the Strait of Hormuz. During a phone call with British Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband, Araghchi warned that outside interference would further complicate regional conditions. Miliband reiterated that the United Kingdom supports diplomacy and does not consider itself a party to any conflict with Iran.
Meanwhile, US media reports indicated that Washington and Israel are preparing contingency plans for possible strikes on Iranian energy infrastructure. According to the reports, President Donald Trump had not yet given final approval, although military preparations were reportedly underway. White House officials reiterated that the United States would not allow Iran to acquire a nuclear weapon, while Iranian officials warned they had prepared plans to retaliate against any future military action.
The latest developments have heightened concerns that military escalation, maritime security threats, and diplomatic tensions could further destabilise the Middle East and disrupt global energy markets.
Copyright © 2026 99News. All Rights Reserved.
[…] Middle East Tensions Escalate as Iran, Kuwait and US Exchange Fresh Warnings […]