News Elementor

RECENT NEWS

Fazlur Rehman Urges Dialogue as AJK Protests Deepen and Tensions Escalate

Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl (JUI-F) chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman on Saturday urged the government to pursue dialogue instead of force as the AJK Protests intensified following fresh clashes between security personnel and protesters in Rawalakot.

In a video message shared by his party, Fazlur Rehman called on the government and state institutions to recognise the seriousness of the situation and work toward a political settlement. He appealed for reconciliation, saying authorities should avoid further bloodshed and focus on resolving the dispute through negotiations.

More than 100 words into his statement, the AJK Protests remained at the centre of political attention after reports of fatalities and injuries emerged from clashes involving law enforcement personnel and members of the proscribed JAAC. Claims regarding casualties circulated on social media, with both security forces and the JAAC reporting loss of life, although the exact number of casualties has not been independently verified.

Fazlur Rehman said the JAAC sit-in has continued for more than two months. He recalled that after tensions escalated on June 5, the committee formally requested him to mediate between the protesters and the government. According to him, the mediation process was coordinated through JUI-F Azad Kashmir chief Maulana Saeed Yousaf Khan and Sardar Kamran Azam Khan.

Pakistan to Face India Again as SAFF Championship Draw Sets Up Classic Rivalry

The JUI-F leader said the protesters expressed confidence in his mediation efforts, but alleged that the government failed to give sufficient importance to the initiative and instead opted to suppress the movement through force rather than political engagement.

He also expressed concern over the humanitarian situation, saying families, including women and children, had been living in fear due to the unrest. Fazlur Rehman alleged that force had been used against unarmed protesters and claimed the death toll had risen significantly, although his figures have not been independently confirmed.

Despite the escalating tensions, he appealed to the JAAC leadership and supporters to remain patient, avoid taking any drastic action, and allow more time for efforts aimed at achieving a peaceful and lasting solution.

Fazlur Rehman further warned that the movement has spread across different parts of Azad Jammu and Kashmir and continues to attract support from other regions of Pakistan as well as the Kashmiri diaspora in Europe.

The unrest has also prompted reactions from political parties and rights organisations. The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) expressed deep concern over reports of deaths and injuries, calling for a prompt, impartial, and independent investigation into the incidents. Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) also demanded an independent judicial inquiry, while other opposition groups criticised the reported use of force against protesters.

The current dispute stems from demands raised by the JAAC, including constitutional and governance reforms, the abolition of reserved refugee seats in the Azad Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly, and the removal of the existing quota system.

Although the government and the JAAC reached an agreement after last year’s protests to examine several demands, including the issue of refugee seats, negotiations have since stalled. The JAAC continues to seek the abolition of the reserved seats, while the government has rejected that demand, leaving the issue at an impasse.

RECENT POSTS

CATEGORIES

Web Desk

One thought on “Fazlur Rehman Urges Dialogue as AJK Protests Deepen and Tensions Escalate”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

RELATED NEWS

SUBSCRIBE US

Subscribe to our mailing list to get update directly in your inbox!

Copyright © 2026 99News. All Rights Reserved.