/ Aug 18, 2026
Trending
Shakib Al Hasan faces a fresh setback in his bid to return to Bangladesh after the government ruled out his comeback following his participation in a media event involving former prime minister Sheikh Hasina.
Bangladesh Youth and Sports Minister Aminul Haque said the government had previously shown flexibility towards the former national cricketer.
That position has now changed, he said.
“Someone who has taken the stage with the autocrat no longer has any opportunity to return,” Haque said in a statement.
Shakib, however, says he remains willing to return home.
He told reporters by phone from Sri Lanka that he would face court proceedings if the government guarantees his safety.
“If I get the clearance from the government that my security will be ensured, I am happy to go back, face the court trial and everything that’s needed to be done,” Shakib said.
“I know I haven’t done anything,” he added.
Shakib has lived in the United States since Hasina’s government fell two years ago.
The former captain currently plays franchise cricket in Sri Lanka.
He joined Hasina’s media event in New Delhi by telephone on Wednesday.
Hasina addressed journalists during the event, marking her first public media appearance since she left power after a deadly crackdown on student protests.
FIFA Crisis Deepens as Gianni Infantino Faces Fresh Calls to Resign
Shakib’s appearance drew anger in Bangladesh.
His home was later attacked, according to reports.
The cricketer defended his decision to join the event.
He said he only called for peace and had no regrets about taking part.
Shakib faces a murder investigation linked to the crackdown on protesters that brought down Hasina’s government on August 5, 2024.
He is among dozens of people named in cases connected to the violence.
Shakib has rejected the allegations.
He said he had contacted the interior, law and sports ministries under the previous interim government through a lawyer.
He also contacted police officials, asking them to drop what he described as fabricated charges.
According to Shakib, he received no response.
He now wants to speak directly with Prime Minister Tarique Rahman about returning home.
Shakib is Bangladesh’s most successful cricketer.
The 39-year-old has played more than 400 international matches and represented Bangladesh in five World Cups.
He announced his retirement plans in September 2024 after Bangladesh’s second Test against India.
However, he later said he wanted to play a full series before ending his international career.
The Bangladesh Cricket Board said in January that he could return to cricket.
His appearance at the New Delhi event has now complicated those plans.
The sports ministry has indicated that his return to Bangladesh remains unlikely.
Shakib said he had tried to return to Bangladesh in late 2024.
He claimed the interim government had assured him that authorities would provide security.
He boarded a flight and contacted officials from the airport lounge to confirm his journey.
However, officials later told him to turn back while he was travelling.
The cricketer landed in Dubai before returning to New York.
“I don’t know what changed in 12 hours,” he said.
Shakib said he had arranged the trip over five to seven days before leaving.
A later plan to return also collapsed after he posted a birthday message for Hasina on social media.
Shakib’s situation reflects the wider political fallout from Hasina’s removal from power.
Many of her former allies now face criminal cases or remain outside Bangladesh.
Rights groups have accused Hasina’s former government of serious abuses, including suppressing political opponents and restricting democratic freedoms.
A Dhaka court later convicted Hasina in absentia over crimes against humanity and sentenced her to death.
She remains in India.
The United Nations has estimated that about 1,400 people died during the crackdown on the protests.
Shakib said he wants to return home as soon as possible.
If that proves impossible, he said he may attempt to return alongside Hasina.
“Whatever the captain says, we follow her,” he said.
His future now depends on both the legal process and the government’s position on his return.
For one of Bangladesh’s most celebrated sports figures, the path back to international cricket remains uncertain.
Copyright © 2026 99News. All Rights Reserved.