/ Aug 18, 2026
Trending
ISTANBUL: Hormuz Talks between Iran and Oman remain under way, but Tehran says US pressure and repeated military threats from President Donald Trump have delayed any agreement on reopening the strategic Strait of Hormuz. The comments came as Washington expressed optimism about ongoing negotiations while warning Iran of severe consequences if diplomatic efforts collapse.
An informed Iranian source told local outlet Sepah News that US interference remains the biggest obstacle to a deal. The source said Iran would not accept an agreement while facing military threats and insisted negotiations could only move forward in a climate free from pressure.
More than 100 words into the diplomatic process, Hormuz Talks have become increasingly complex. The Iranian source said negotiations with Oman would remain delayed as long as the United States continued to threaten military action against Tehran.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said a day earlier that discussions with Oman were progressing positively. He added that both sides were working to establish secure shipping lanes while protecting the sovereignty and national security of Iran and Oman.
The Strait of Hormuz carries nearly one-fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas shipments, making any disruption a major concern for global energy markets.
BankIslami Brings Economic Experts Together to Assess Pakistan’s FY2027 Outlook
President Donald Trump said the Strait of Hormuz could reopen “very soon” if negotiations succeed. However, he warned that the United States would launch a strong military response if Iran abandoned the talks.
Trump said US and Iranian officials held an “all-day negotiation” and described the discussions as productive. He added that Washington would know within 48 hours whether meaningful progress had been achieved.
The US president also repeated that Iran must never obtain a nuclear weapon and said military action would remain an option if diplomacy failed.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio also expressed optimism, saying an agreement on maritime passage could be reached “very shortly.”
Investor optimism pushed Asian stock markets higher, while oil prices declined after reports suggested a breakthrough could restore shipping through the Strait of Hormuz.
According to media reports, the United States, Iran, and Oman are discussing an interim arrangement aimed at reopening the waterway and reinforcing a ceasefire between Washington and Tehran.
Qatar also reported progress in mediation efforts after Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani discussed the negotiations with President Trump during a phone call.
Despite diplomatic progress, regional tensions remain high. Yemen’s Houthi movement claimed responsibility for a missile attack on a Saudi oil tanker near Yanbu, adding further pressure to shipping routes in the region.
Meanwhile, Iranian state media maintained that Tehran would reject any agreement reached under military pressure. Iran has long argued that it should share greater authority over the Strait of Hormuz with Oman, although previous proposals have failed to secure consensus.
Israeli officials also voiced concern over Washington’s diplomatic approach. According to Israeli media reports, some officials believe the Trump administration is pursuing an agreement with Iran too aggressively and without sufficient consultation with Israel.
Copyright © 2026 99News. All Rights Reserved.
[…] Iran Says US Pressure Delays Hormuz Deal as Trump Warns of Military Action […]